Monday, August 30, 2010

My Introduction to Ramadhan

May peace be unto you,

This writings is inspired by Kak Emma who mentioned to me on how is she going to introduce Ramadhan to her two heroes,Nabil and Nasar.I'm sure by the time they are ready to take in what Ramadhan,kak Emma would have figured out a way best for her two beautiful kids. As we were finishing our KIAM Hari Raya dedication for 2010, I reminisced back how Ibu and Ayah had introduce Ramadhan to me.

I don't remember the exact day I fast but I do remember the feeling of having to wake up(or being waken) by my parents for Sahur(the early morning meal).Ayah and Ibu offered RM1 per day as a reward for fasting the whole day.I was told that to complete 30 days of fasting will get me an extra RM30 on top of the "duit raya" given my aunties and uncles.Being offered that,it kept me motivated although being a 4 year old, money was not of great importance,but I think the notion of not eating and drinking and being rewarded for that is some kinf of achievement.

As I grow older,my other siblings(at the time there were 3 of us,Me,Salleh,Othman) started trying to fast too with the same offer,I got, but additional benefit where half a day fasting willget them 50 cent. For me this rule does not apply because,"Ina dah besar" as my Ayah and Ibu always say. Its a way to make me bahave and show good example.

Fasting has been easier in primary school where most of my school mates fasts.The RM30 at the end of Ramadhan still awaits me and on top of that Atuk Aji(my father's dad) would topup the reward with another RM30 making it RM60. We would usually spend a few it at the nearby sundry shop owned by "Uncle", as we would called the old uncle.
Ramadhan this time would usually be spent sleeping,and if I get a bit "rajin" I would flip through my "Qiraati" (equivalent to Muqaddam),May Allah take it as an effort to be better in Reading the Quran.

In high school,fasting in Ramadhan is no longer about the RM30 at the end of month. Ustazah in school would be reminding us on Fiqh of Saum(Fasting Guidelines) as we were pretty much good in refraining from eating and drinking in the day. The same goes during the university days but is added with how to increase good deeds during the holy month. At times I would fine myself giving excuses of not doing Tadarus (Quran recitation) with the busy schedule as a student.

Well,this time around,it has to be different from the past years. Not just "menjaga perkara membatalkan puasa" but also "menjaga perkara membetalkan PAHALA puasa".The first criteria Alhamdulillah most of us can say as easy to fulfill but the second part is actually the real test. It determines whether as I come out of Ramadhan, am I still the quick-tempered person as I was before or have I act upon the "akhlak" of a Muslim as thought by The Prophet (peace be upon him).

Most importantly is to feel sad when Ramadhan is closing upon you, and you might never know if you will meet the next Ramadhan or not. It is very much important if we can enrich the different segments of our lives be it emotionally, physically and spiritually. Feel the upgrade within you as you mature in the month of Ramadhan insyaAllah.

I would wonder how I would introduce Ramadhan to my kids (in future,May Allah grant me the understanding) but it would be another gradual process of learning too. InsyaAllah, may we find peace within ourselves and strive for greater achievements.This is my reflection on my introduction to Ramadhan some 22 years ago. Still more to learn and more to pass on insyaAllah. Happy Ramadhan al-Mubarak.

No comments:

Post a Comment